By Roz Jones
You might find it uncomfortable talking about some subjects with your kids. It might be because of your own background, your cultural or religious values. As a caregiver, one challenge may be even finding the time to sit down to have the conversation. Even though it’s difficult, it’s important to talk about the tough topics that affect our kids. It’s a good idea to identify the topics that might confuse, scare, or overwhelm your child.
Here are some tips for addressing the sticky topics with your kids:
- If something sad happens within your family, like an illness, a death, or a divorce, try to be the one to talk to them about it first. Set aside time with your child where you can both be comfortable, and choose a safe environment where you can talk to them about it.
- Keep your answers simple and appropriate for their age. Children under six aren’t necessarily going to understand or be patient while you give them a long, drawn out explanation.
- Be honest and talk as truthfully as you can about the topic.
- Come back to the topic. It will take time for your child to understand. Let them know they are welcome to come back and ask you questions about the topic at any time.
- If the topic is one that is bothering them, be open and ask open-ended questions to help them describe how they feel or what they think.
- Listen to your child. Make eye contact and get as close to their level as you can.
- Above all, remain calm even if the topic is sad or difficult for you personally. It’s also okay to have feelings and let your child know how you feel.
I’ve just launched Shop With Roz, my online store filled with supplies and gifts for every caregiver. You can find a wide variety of products in the store to help yourself and your loved one. Check it out here!
After you have a look through the store, see any products you use and love as a caregiver, and think we should share them with everyone? Let me know!
It’s here, I am so excited to share a new caregiver app called CircleOf….This app will allow you to surround yourself with resources and experts from your community including ME!!!! As you are looking through the app, you will see my familiar face. I’m excited about this partnership and new ways to support you as you support your loved one. Here’s the link so you can explore the app. I would love your feedback and spread the word by sharing the link to family and friends.
Visit www.rozjonesent.com for more information on addressing mental health as a caregiver and check out my upcoming book!