By Roz Jones
When disaster strikes, having an emergency kit prepared for your aging loved one can make all the difference in ensuring their safety and well-being. But what should you pack? In this blog, we’ll provide you with a comprehensive list of items to consider when packing for your aging loved one’s emergency kit.
- Medications: Pack a sufficient supply of your aging loved one’s medications, including any prescription and over-the-counter medications they may require.
- Medical equipment: If your aging loved one requires medical equipment, such as a nebulizer or oxygen tank, make sure to include it in their emergency kit.
- Personal care items: Pack personal care items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, denture cleaner, and any other items your aging loved one may need to maintain their personal hygiene.
- Clothing: Pack enough clothing for your aging loved one, including underwear, socks, and comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing.
- Comfort items: Consider packing comfort items such as a favorite blanket, stuffed animal, or family photo to help your aging loved one feel more at ease during an emergency.
- Mobility aids: If your aging loved one uses a mobility aid, such as a cane, walker, or wheelchair, make sure to include it in their emergency kit.
- Glasses and hearing aids: Pack an extra set of glasses or hearing aids, along with any batteries or chargers needed.
- Important documents: Keep copies of important documents such as identification cards, medical records, and insurance policies in a waterproof container or a safe deposit box.
- Emergency contact information: Write down emergency contact information for your aging loved one, including their doctor’s name and phone number, and keep it in their emergency kit.
- Snacks and water: Pack non-perishable snacks and water for your aging loved one, along with any dietary restrictions or preferences they may have.
By packing these essential items, you can help ensure that your aging loved one is prepared for an emergency. Don’t forget to update their emergency kit regularly to ensure that their supplies and information are up-to-date and ready when needed.
Seniors Storm Guide: Essential Tips for Caregivers to Prepare Loved Ones for the Hurrican Season
As a caregiver, your loved one’s safety is a top priority, especially during hurricane season. The key to reducing stress and anxiety is early preparation. Our Seniors Storm Guide is a free resource that offers essential information to help you prepare your loved one for potential storms. From packing a travel bag to checking their contact list and ensuring there are adequate emergency supplies, this guide provides tips that your loved one can actively participate in. Participation, not isolation, is key when preparing for major storms. Our Seniors Storm Guide will serve as a valuable resource that you can refer to again and again. Download it today and be prepared for anything that comes your way this hurricane season.